Thursday, August 16, 2012

Afterglow - and Reminiscences


This week I got to spend lots of ‘quality time’ (hah!) in my car, due to a business trip Up North. It gave me time to reflect on last week, not only the instruction and riding, but the entire package. I can honestly say there was nothing I wish that should have been different. Some of George’s remarks still ring in my head. I did tell him that his manner of speech really reminded me of Egon von Neindorff (George trained with him at the beginning in Germany). The DVD “School of Horsemanship”, chronicling the life work of Mr. von Neindorff, really captures a lot of it. Heard often by both of them:  “Give with the hand”.

Some other coins of wisdom I liked: “Use twice as much leg as hand” (meaning less hand). My favorite: “You have to rev up the RPM’s” (the horse has to be ‘on’ before a movement such as a flying change, not flat and strung out). For those not familiar with stick shift cars: RPM means Revolutions per Minute. Before shifting into the next gear you have to rev up the RPMs, otherwise the car fizzles out.

However, I won’t dwell on George’s quip about using OnStar when I got off course during a new exercise! That came right after I gave JP a hard time about men not willing to ask directions or call OnStar when lost… JP got lost buying carrots for the horses. And he isn’t even blond J!

So, now at home I try to keep the afterglow on as long as possible. I’m also contemplating how to go from there. The show season is almost over.  It will be the first year in a very long time that Saumur and I are not getting any year-end awards, which of course is no surprise as we never made it to a show! My competitive season did not pan out as planned – but so what? We are all healthy and happy, Remy gave a respectable debut at his first shows, and Saumur is more relaxed than I’ve ever seen him. Citing Jane Savoie: “It’s not just about the ribbons”! Honestly, the progress with the boys gives me more satisfaction than any year-end award ever could.


No comments:

Post a Comment